Movie Review: The Blackcoat's Daughter

The Blackcoat's Daughter...a short movie review for people with short attention spans!
Spoilers Possible!!!
Director
Osgood Perkins is mostly known for his acting, this movie was his Directorial debut.

Starring
Emma Roberts (We're the Millers), Kiernan Shipka (Very Good Girls), Lucy Boynton (Bohemian Rhapsody), James Remar (Warriors), Lauren Holly (Any Given Sunday)

Plot
Two girls must battle a mysterious evil force when they get left behind at their boarding school after winter break.

What I Think
Well. Usually I talk about the movie for a little bit and let you know how it begins, but for this film I must start a minute 50 because this is where the movie starts to get good. You see, from the beginning of the movie you have huge gaps in dialogue and when our characters do speak, it is in hushed tones so I ended up having to put on the subtitles. Next, this is mainly about two girls and they hardly talk to each other so you are basically waiting for the dialogue or some sort of progression in the plot.
Minute 50 is where we finally start to get some kind of a look into what is happening with the girls. There is theory of possible demonic possession or even extreme psychosis that leads to bad things. While we are getting our look into this main story another story is introduced that involves an older couple and a runaway that, at first, has some minor connections to the girls and the boarding school that they go to. As we move along, the connection with the old couple and the girl to the boarding school becomes very strong.

My official "what-I-think-about-this-movie" is that it is insanely slow. The plot was confusing at first but finally had a bit of closure at the end...but not really. Even at the end of the movie you still had questions but it is open to interpretation. I am not a fan of this type of film but psychological thrillers usually aren't my thing.



If you see/have seen this film and think there is something that I missed please leave a comment and we can discuss it. If it is compelling enough I may do a second take and re-watch it to see it from your point of view.

Otherwise, I give this movie ⭐½ of 5 stars.

Plot, Poster, and Pictures courtesy of IMDB.

I watch TV, Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, and more all in one place with Roku! 
Click and check it out!


Follow me on social media: 

Facebook @DeeJaysMovies and Twitter @DeeJaysMovies

Email Me: deejaysmovies@gmail.com

Comments