Movie review: No Escape (2015)

No Escape… A short movie review for people with short attention spans.
Spoilers possible!!!


Director: John Eric Dowdle also directed Devil, Quarantine, As Above So Below, and The Poughkeepsie Tapes

Starring: Owen Wilson (Father Figures), Lake Bell (Shot Caller), Sterling Jerins (The Conjuring 2), Claire Geare (Inception), Pierce Brosnan (The Foreigner)

Plot: Soon after relocating to South East Asia, an American family lands in the midst of a violent coup that could cost them their lives.

Short Synopsis: We are introduced to a highly secure meeting with 2 men who are seemingly very powerful. They close a deal and one of them leaves and once that party has departed all hell breaks loose. This leads to a screen saying "17 hours prior".

After the events that unfold in the first 2 minutes of the movie we are meeting the Dwyer family which consists of a husband and wife and two little girls. They are on a flight from Texas to Southeast Asia following a business opportunity that Jack, has gotten for a water company.  Upon reaching their destination you can see that they’ve landed in a Third World country, complete with street vendors and performers, dark shady alleys, and even shadier people. 

During the flight, Jack's little girl strikes up a conversation with a man named Hammond, played by Pierce Brosnan. During the conversation she learns that he has visited this region  16 times and knows the area very well. Personally, when I hear this in a movie, the reason for this many visits indicates 2 things...military or less than lawful reasons. With the way he is dressed and the scars he has my bet was on the latter.

They head to their hotel and, since it is late, they go to sleep with the promise of going to the pool in the morning. The next morning does not go as planned and the hotel is overrun by an angry mob. They are killing Americans and Foreigners of all types without any regard. 

What happens next is absolute chaos.


What I think: This movie had me do something that I have not done at a movie for quite a few years. During the movie I was so tense and mad that I literally screamed at the TV. What was happening on the screen got me so worked up that I could not hold in my emotions and ended up cussing up a storm calling the characters "stupid, idiotic, and insane". This, by no means, is saying that I did not like the movie. Quite the opposite actually. With the amount of action, tension, and full on suspense this flick kept my attention and had me at the edge of my seat wanting to see how far they would go to survive their predicament. 

There was always something to fear, something to look out for, something that could turn from a blessing to a curse. This film will make you think twice about travelling to a land of which you know very little. As a father myself, seeing some of the situations that came up, I was forced to ask myself the question, "How far would I go to protect my family? Would I kill someone to survive? Could I sacrifice myself to save my kids?" These are the things that make you think and this movie will get you mad on many levels and that is what made it great.

If you are okay with graphic murder, executions, intense drama, action, sexual assault, near death experiences and a host of other uncomfortable actions then you might enjoy this movie.

I give this movie ⭐⭐⭐⭐½ of 5 stars
Movie Poster and plot provided by IMDB.com



Comments