Movie Review: Pokemon Detective Pikachu

Pokémon Detective Pikachu...a short movie review for people with short attention spans!
Spoilers Possible!!!
Director
Rob Letterman has also directed Shark Tale, Monsters vs. Aliens, and Gulliver's Travels.

Starring
Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool), Justice Smith (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom), Kathryn Newton (Blockers), Bill Nighy (The Limehouse Golem), Ken Watanabe (Isle of Dogs), Chris Geere (Deadtectives), Rita Ora (Fifty Shades Freed)

Plot
In a world where people collect Pokémon to do battle, a boy comes across an intelligent talking Pikachu who seeks to be a detective.
What I Think
The plot provided doesn't do the movie any justice. This flick was actually more of a whodunit that was wrapped in a conspiracy that eventually became a good vs evil mega battle. This movie is special because it has Pokémon that are living in our world in spectacular realism. All the usual suspects are accounted for:
Charizard     🗹
Psyduck        🗹
Bulbasaur     🗹
...and many more.
You know the saying...gotta catch 'em all!

I don't mean to sound like an old guy but I was very reluctant to watch this movie mostly because I really didn't think that I had the proper knowledge of Pokémon or understanding of any of the references but luckily I have kids and realized I do pay attention to the cartoons. Even with my limited knowledge of the subject matter I was able to follow the story and even name some of the characters.  
Speaking of the story...this is a good old fashion mystery movie where you have to figure out who the real villain is, how they committed their crime, and why they did it. The premise was good, the action and story were fantastic, and Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu really made the movie funny yet dramatic. I also really cared about Tim, played by Justice Smith, and his personal inner turmoil that guided him through the film. 

All in all, I really enjoyed the movie and would definitely recommend it to others.

If you enjoyed Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Space Jam, or Enchanted then you may like this one as well. This truly is a family movie albeit there is some low key adult humor.

I give this movie ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ of 5 stars.
Poster, pictures, and plot courtesy of IMDB.com


Click Here:


Visit me on Facebook: @DeeJaysMovies

Comments